Saturday, January 08, 2005

What's happening now?

Over the past couple of days, we've been doing a lot of filming on the movie. We've been working really quick, because people always have to go, but it works well that way. It cuts out the waiting around and procrastinating time and keeps us on task. I feel like we're definitely making an arty film, in the sense that the shot composition and cutting is unconventional. I'm definitely influenced by Wong Kar-Wai, just because I've been watching so much of his stuff recently, and it's so innovative, it inspires my own stuff in the same vein. Yesterday, I said Mystic River was good, but not great, and I think one of the reasons for that is the fact that it didn't really inspire any creative ideas in me. The best films that I see always have me thinking about new ways to tell stories and make films. Mystic was great on its own, but it wasn't inspiring in that way. WKW, despite the fact that his films are certainly flawed, is so inspiring in creating a new visual language, I just love watching his films. Particularly on Fallen Angels, there's shots that just leave me in awe, and make me want to create things on that level. So, I'm having a lot of fun doing that, it's new filmmaking territory for us, and I'm really enjoying creating new stuff.

Other awesome news is that The Polyphonic Spree are playing two shows in New York in February, so I'm going to make the return to see them. They were incredible live and I'm really psyched to see them again. It's going to be a hassle to make it back during the week, but it's doable, and definitely worth it.

Related Posts
Creative Projects (8/28/2005)
Respect Films (1/10/2006)

No comments: