Sunday, April 17, 2005

Next Year's Classes

Earlier this week I registered for classes for next semester. Unlike a lot of people, I'm pretty happy with it, and got all the stuff I wanted. I am taking...

Sight and Sound (Film Production)
History of the American Film Industry in the Studio Era
Colloquium on American Studies and Cultural Studies
It's About Time (Physics course)

I probably already know a lot of the film production stuff, since I work with the same cameras and stuff they have here at LMC, but I may get more of an artistic standpoint here, as opposed to just shine enough light on the person to make them show up. The studio era is an era I don't know that much about, so it'll be good to learn, though I'm not a huge fan of the films from that era (in comparison to the best of modernity), but sometimes it's good to branch out and to continue my study of the classics. The colloquim is a requirement, but I really liked the discussion oriented class on youth culture this semester, so hopefully another discussion oriented class will be equally good. This physics course is a risk, I'm hoping it'll give me some of the science background behind the Grant Morrison view of time, not just a bunch of equations. But, it's my farewell to math and science, so I might as well do something potentially interesting.

This year has gone by so fast, one could find it depressing, but I prefer to look at it as a good thing, since it means I'm doing stuff and am not bored. This summer I've got some good stuff coming up. I'm still hoping to track down an internship for May and June, before I return to LMC camp. You'd think it'd be easier to find a place to work if you are willing to do so for no money. but, I guess in the glamourous world of film and television, there is a labor surplus.

My birthday this year could be the greatest birthday of my life. At midnight I'll be seeing Star Wars: Episode III. It's been a long wait for this, sixteen years maybe, I don't even know when I first saw the original Star Wars, but shortly after that I heard about these prequels and I've been waiting for them. I remember years ago, in 1994 maybe, I was talking about how they were going to rerelease the original trilogy in 1997 (years into the future) and then the prequel trilogy in 1999, 2002 and 2005. 2005 seemed like a world away, but now we're here, and on my twentieth birthday, I shall finally complete the saga. It's appropriate because I don't think any experience so influenced me as seeing Star Wars. Without that, I don't know if I would have wanted to go into film, or if it would be such a passion for me. Then at night on May 19, I'm going to see Doves, one of my favorite bands, in concert for the first time. I really wanted to go see them back in September 2002, but I went to see Catch 22 instead, and I regretted it, but now I shall alleviate this and finally see them in concert. This is one massive day, with two huge events. It may be my best birthday yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm tempted to say something nasty about that "not just bunch of equations" sentence over there... I have no idea what the course will be doing, and actually I don't know anything about Grant Morrison, but I think the course should at least touch Einstein's theory of relativity...

I have no idea what I'm going to study next year. Next summer is enough of a worry right now. I haven't been motivated enough to get a job (applied for some, but I'm not getting those ones) and it looks like I have no savings to spend, so I'll probably end up doing the worst thing I can do and take a loan to be able to travel somewhere in Europe and have some fun.

Anonymous said...

Oops. I forgot to tell who I am, but you probably guessed anyway.

Mikko

Patrick said...

Well, I too would expect some Einstein, and would welcome it, since I've never studied that stuff, but I'm also hoping there'll be some discussion of 4-D time as a practical thing, not just in theory. I'll see, it's at 9 AM though, so that's one strike against it.

Travelling around Europe sounds like a pretty good plan. I've still never left the US, but one day I'll make it over there.