Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Best of 2007 and The Future of the Blog

Over the next week, I'll be putting up all my lists for 2007. You'll be getting...

Top 10 TV Shows
Top 10 TV Episodes
Top 10 Songs
Top 15 Albums
Top 10 Movies

Along with this, there'll also be a 2008 preview, exploring what we've got to expect next year. Unfortuantely, the strike is throwing everything into question, shows like Dollhouse and True Blood won't premiere when expected and no previously unannounced movies will pop up for a while. In film, 2009 will probably be hit harder, but TV is going to be sinking quickly next year, the only thing I've got to look forward to is the new season of The Wire.

In terms of the blog's future, you've probably noticed I haven't been posting as much the past few months as in the past. The reason for that is that I'm working full time, and it's hard to blog during the week. Part of that is that I just don't have the time to watch as many movies or TV shows to write up.

I've only been writing up stuff that's worthy of a really deep look. I'm not going to write a review to say I kind of liked something, or that it was pretty good. I'm writing up about stuff that I love and demands analysis, like The Wire, or about stuff that doesn't quite make it, to explore where it fails and succeeds, like There Will Be Blood. There's so many people writing their opinion, but how many people online are really delving deeper into a work, to examine not just where something fails or succeeds, but why. People don't necessarily want to approach works in that way, if they did, John From Cincinnati would probably be a bigger hit. But, I don't read reviews until I've seen a movie, and after I've seen it, I don't need to know if it's worth seeing, I want something deeper. Hopefully the reviews I do provide that, at least it's something different.

But, 2008 will bring week by week Wire writeups, and more on whatever I come across that's worth writing up. I'm sure there's plenty of good stuff waiting out there.

1 comment:

Joel Theriot said...

Thank you for writing this blog. And good luck with your gig.