Sunday, March 04, 2007

The Invisibles #18: 'Entropy in the UK: Part 2: Messiah'

Entropy in the UK features a fairly linear present story, with King Mob being interrogated by Sir Miles, juxtaposed against a fractured jumble of narrative digressions into fantasy and memory. The arc begins with King Mob’s vision of himself as Gideon Stargrave, but as it progresses, the fantasies slip away and we get what are presumably flashbacks to King Mob’s real past. During the middle issue, we get a bit of both in another fantastic piece of pop storytelling.

I've taken down my posts on The Invisibles because they're all coming out in book form. The book, Our Sentence is Up, features revised and expanded versions of each blog post, covering every issue of The Invisibles, plus an extensive interview with Morrison himself. Visit your local comic store and order a copy now!

2 comments:

David Golding said...

I enjoyed your short! You've really raised the bar in writing about comics - do we all have to make interpretative short films now, just to keep up? :-)

The thing about the book 'The Invisibles' in Vol 2 always confused me... what was the book that Robin found? In Vol 3 it's claimed that Sir Miles wrote a book with that title! Did KM really also write one? All I remember him writing was 'The Killing Moon'...?

Patrick said...

I think you should drop an interpretative B5 short film on us next. I'm actually putting the final touches on my senior thesis movie now, which is also heavily Invisibles inspired. It's about two scientists who are trying to invent a time travel device, and run into some issues. I was developing it while reading Seven Soldiers for the first time, so some of those ideas mixed in there too, and perhaps even some original stuff! But, I'll post a link to that when it's online, it should be in a month or so.

As for the book, I don't remember exactly, in issue 17, when Sir Miles asks Gideon if he's King Mob, he replies that King Mob is just a character in his book. But, he never specifically says he wrote a book called The Invisibles, so maybe Robin is referring to Sir Miles' book, which would reinforce the connection between Miles and Mob. I'm pretty sure she mentions Kirk Morrison at some point, I'll have to check that out when I get there.

Oh, and in the issue, Robin is talking about how she is writing a book called The Invisibles, so there could be as many as three different Invisibles books within the book called The Invisibles.